Wednesday, May 26, 2004

First Entry

Hmmm.... what should I say here? It's not unlike Billy Crystal's character, Larry Donner, in Throw Momma From the Train. A strong and thought-provoking beginning is the key to any successful literary effort. However, in this case, there is no beautiful and awe-inspiring Anne Ramsey to help me out. Sadly, there's actually a website showing pictures of her grave. Well... it appears as if the beginning has begun (however morbidly) and, as I write (mostly about my beloved Indians) over the coming months (any maybe years), you may already have a good impression of the type of blog I'll be running.

I plan on updating this at least a couple of times a week, but knowing me, I'll update it everyday for a month and then take a two week break. I may comment only on the Tribe and its players in general or I may comment on specific plays from a recent game. Those of you who become frequent visitors will quickly recognize my inconsistent arguments and general randomness. I do not plan on having nearly the amount of reliable info or writing skills found at the Cleveland Indians Report. But, as one of the worst sayings ever created states: "It is what it is."

Unfortunately, I start this blog with the Indians riding a 6 game losing streak and back to back extra innings losses. Although many see this team as a perennial cellar dweller and infinite rebuilder, I am more positive. I believe myself to be a realistic and well-informed fan. I'm aware of the Indians weaknesses, not just their strengths.

More info on me: I'm a Cleveland native and have been an Indians fan for some time. I watch virtually all of the games on a digital cable package from my home in Chicago. Even though I wasn't around during some of the leanest years, I was a fan well before the "bandwagon of 1995" rolled through.

Alright.... enough intro. Over the next few days, I'll be discussing a few things:

Casey at the bat
Alex Escobar/Coco Crisp
Why I'm disappointed in Jody Gerut
Eric Wedge/Mark Shapiro- Why it's too early to judge


Game played Tuesday, May 25th.
Seattle 5, Cleveland 4 - 12 innings

How come none of the papers this morning mentioned Victor's block of the plate in the 11th inning? That was an unbelievable play! The runner was there in plenty of time. I didn't think there was any way they could get him. Even though we went on to lose... it was good to see such a good defensive play by V-Mart.

Another play that appeared to be mostly missed by the announcers and beat writers: Jose Jimenez racing Ichiro to first base. Yes, it was mentioned. But it was clear in the replays that Jimenez was running right next to him for about two full strides. Why didn't he just tag him? Was he afraid of Ichiro's bulky, BALCO-ed, buff body knocking him over? How is it that you play baseball your whole life and this doesn't occur to you? Amazing.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good start! I hope you stay with it. It looks good so far. Us Indians fans need another regularly updated blog!

May 26, 2004 at 9:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Westy pitches a complete game tonight..strikes out 8 and cruises to a 10-2 win.

May 27, 2004 at 9:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

About the intolerable nicknames given to our current Indians: Pronk? Project Donkey?! Horrendous. I'd like to offer up a new, flexible nickname for Travis. A name can be altered depending on his productivity. When's he's not hitting, getting jammed and jammed, he's Travis Hafempty. When he's slugging to all fields and driving in runs like Juan "El Conquestador" Gonzales in his prime, he's of course, Travis Haffull. Thanks, Joe Gartrell, Columbus, Ohio.

June 2, 2004 at 11:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Name:

Powered by Blogger

LJ's Travel Blog