Thursday, May 27, 2004

7 in a row....

Alright..... I was hoping that the creation of this blog would somehow manifest enough luck to bring the Tribe out of their 6 game losing streak. Either it brought no luck at all..... or there were TWO Mariners fans that created blogs yesterday to counteract me. We may never know the answer to this.

Did anyone else have the feeling before last night's game that we were finally going to get to Jaime Moyer? How has the guy so totally owned us over the last 4 years? I always hate it when they show what a guy with a long career has done against a certain team. A completely worthless statistic. Take Roger Clemens for instance. The guy has a great career record against our Tribe.... but does anyone really think that he gets more excited and determined against the Indians than against any other team? Why should it matter that he went 11-0 (or whatever his real numbers were) versus the Indians from 1984-1993? Does it really matter that Brook Jacoby and the gang couldn't hit him 15 years ago?

Anyway... I don't understand why Jaime Moyer has such success with us. I really hope we have one game against him (before he breaks his hip and retires) where we just pound him and he gets pulled in the first couple of innings.

In other news... the Tribe has decided to demote Scott Stewart. I'm not even sure what to say about this except he's being replaced by a guy by the name of Pote. If either Ryan Church or Maicer Izturis ever amount to anything..... ugh. This could turn out to be a reverse Jody Gerut/Josh Bard for Jacob Cruz deal.

How much does it hurt our lineup when both Alex Escobar and Coco are in there at the same time?

Jimenez now the closer. I actually like this idea. There's no doubt that Betancourt is our best reliever and he needs to pitch. If I were a manager.... my "closer" would be the guy I bring in towards the end of the game when I'm facing the toughest part of the lineup. For instance.... if I'm leading the Chicago White Sox by a couple of runs and they've got Ordonez, Thomas and Carlos Lee coming up in the 8th inning, I want my best reliever in there. Why bring in the "set-up" guy to face the other team's best? I know, I know.... you want a guy with the "mentality" to be out there in the 9th inning. But I'd rather have my best guy face the best hitters from the other team. Why bring in your best guy to face Ross Gload, Jose Valentin and Aaron Rowand? I think it's just baseball people always doing what their predecessors did. I expect this rant of mine to do to the bullpen what Moneyball did to scouting and statistics. Now... if only I had some readers.........

Question of the Day - This one's for all you hack golfers/tribe fans out there (like me). Would you rather have a good drive and a good short iron right onto the green only to double bogey because you four-putted? Or would you rather just have an average drive (with my patented slice), decent iron to near the green, a duff into the sand, an ok chip on, and then a two-putt? They're both the same score.... but isn't the first one much more frustrating?

I'm sure you see what I'm getting at (hopefully the analogy is obvious enough). At the end of the day, I'd prefer the first scenario because at least MOST of my game is working. There is still something to feel good about...... except for the pain in my knee after having snapped my putter over it.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the analogy.

May 27, 2004 at 4:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great page, keep going.

September 11, 2004 at 8:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Name:

Powered by Blogger

LJ's Travel Blog